What is Building Approval?

In some cases, a building permit may be required before construction can be carried out on a new shed in Perth. A building permit is often needed if the work requires alteration, renovation or construction of a building, including sheds. It’s more likely that building permission will be required when the work may:

  • Have impacts on the health and safety of the occupants
  • Affect the structural integrity of the building
  • Affect the way the building complies with building standards
Building Approval for Sheds
There are incidents where building permits are not required, which usually includes maintenance or repair of a building. However, the building still needs to comply with certain building standards which can be confirmed with your local council or shire.

Also read about – Owner Builder Vs Registered Builder

How Do I Get Building Approval?

In order to obtain building approval, you must lodge an application with the permit authority in the area the building will be located. This is usually your local council or shire

Building permits are controlled by the Building Act 2011 and the Building Regulations 2012. A building permit is required for any works involving construction or alterations including projects such as:

  • Residential dwellings
  • Residential additions and alterations
  • Commercial buildings
  • Decks, patios, gazebos, pergolas and verandas
  • Swimming pools and spas
  • Rainwater tanks
  • Workshop Sheds
  • Retaining walls
  • Garages and carports
  • Sheds

In Western Australia there are two types of applications forms for building permits. A Building Permit Certified (BA1) and a Building Permit Uncertified (BA2).

Building Permit Certified (BA1)

This application must be used for commercial buildings (class 2-9). A Building Permit Uncertified (BA2) is optional for residential structures in classes 1 and 10. This permit application must include a certificate of design compliance signed by a registered building surveyor.

Building Permit Uncertified (BA2)

This permit application is only for incidental structures and residential buildings. Although there is a processing time of 25 business days for this application, there is no requirement to engage a building surveyor. The City of Perth provides a building surveyor to conduct an assessment and issue a building permit along with a Certificate of Design Compliance.

Notice of Completion

If you are required to obtain a building permit, you must submit a notice of completion. This must be submitted within seven days of the work completion or the particular stage of work for which the permit was granted for.


The Building Act provides details about exemptions from the requirement to obtain certain permits for particular buildings and incidental structures. This is based on their level of risk. It’s important to understand that these exemptions don’t remove the requirements for other approvals that may be needed. You should contact your local council to determine if exemptions apply to your project.

How Much is Building Approval?

Fees for building approvals vary depending on your circumstances, however the minimum fee is $105. You should check with your local council in regards to fees and charges.

In most cases where work includes construction or alterations of a building, a permit is required before commencing any work. To find out more about building permits and if you need one, contact your local council or shire.



Owner - Spinifex Sheds

I've got a passion for helping people build the right shed. Whether that's custom made for your hoist, fitting the shed into a tight site or just a shed that's going to last many years, I love to help.

Similar Articles